NextEra Energy Summer College Intern - Data Science (WindLogics) in St. Paul, Minnesota
Summer College Intern - Data Science (WindLogics)
Date:Sep 13, 2018
Primary Location:St. Paul, MN, US, 55107
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 27384
is the optimization and analytics team for the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. As part of NextEra Energy, we thrive on creating innovative forecasting and optimization solutions that change the industry for the better.
Position Specific Description WindLogics is a renewable energy forecasting and optimization company that performs R&D and new product development for our parent company, NextEra Energy. We’re currently looking for two interns to join our Applied Math Group in St. Paul, Minnesota for the Summer of 2019.
As an intern in the Applied Math Group you will be asked:
- To work on a project using approaches from mathematics, statistics, or computer science
- To acquire, manipulate, transform, and visualize datasets
- To write high-quality code in R or Python
- To collaborate with Mathematicians, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other technology professionals
- To present your work to technical teams, management and executives in St. Paul and Juno Beach, FL.
We are looking for students of Applied Math or Data Science who want to understand the mathematical properties of the algorithms they use; to write and share the best possible code; and to put their skills to work for one of the largest renewable energy fleets in the world.
The internship will provide mentoring and practical hands-on experience in a technology business in downtown St. Paul. Previous interns have worked on load forecasting, demand response modelling, sky camera image analysis, and wind turbine parameter analyses.
- Currently enrolled as a full-time student in a bachelor's or graduate program in mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, or a related field. Graduate program preferred.
- Familiar with techniques from optimization (linear, quadratic, MIP, etc) or machine learning (regression and classification with RF, SVM, LR, time-series models, etc)
- Proficient in either R or Python
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills. Job Overview Employees in the role will be provided mentoring and practical hands on experience for relevant career-related activities encountered in the student’s area of study or specialization. To be considered for this position the applicant must be actively enrolled at a college or university as a full-time student seeking a bachelor’s degree or higher. Candidate must also have a current GPA of 3.00 or higher (on a 0.00 to 4.00 scale).
Job Duties & Responsibilities • Assists department with assigned projects • Completes challenging projects and assignments • Presents final project to senior leadership at the end of the internship • Performs other job-related duties as assigned Required Qualifications • High School Grad / GED Preferred Qualifications • Effective Written Communications • Effective Verbal Communications
Employee Group: Non Exempt Employee Type: Intern Job Category: Intern Organization: WindLogics Inc Location: St. Paul, Minnesota Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: No
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748 (Option 1, Press 6) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
Nearest Major Market:Minneapolis Job Segment:Wind Energy, Energy